When I think of raisins I think healthy…right? When I was a child my mother always told me that raisins are known as “nature’s candy” and that they are very good for you. But have you ever thought that they can actually cause cavities? I know, I was as shocked as you are right now. Its nuts!
Recent research has indicated that by the time children reach kindergarten, over 40% of children already have one or more cavities. When you look at it from a pediatric dentist’s point of view, raisins are sticky and contain a lot of sugar which may cause your child to develop cavities! Of course raisins aren’t the only cause of cavities; it is the combined effort of many other things such as juice, junk foods, candies, lack of brushing and just not visiting the dentist every 6 months.
Everything has a list of pros and cons and it is important to remember that moderation is key! With childhood obesity on the rise, it is good to know that one of the pros of eating raisins is that they are low in fat and cholesterol too! Raisins also happen to be high in fiber, iron, potassium and some calcium.
You may be asking….what about all that sugar? Isn’t there a lot of sugar in raisins? The answer is Yes. BUT, raisins contain natural which is much different that simple, refined and processed sugars in sweets.
So what’s the bottom line? Well, your child can have raisins because there are many benefits to them but do not let them overindulge in it! Moderation is key so too much of anything can be harmful. Make sure your children brush and floss their teeth after eating sticky things like raisins… and you should do the same.
Let us know what you think! Are there any other types of foods that may be misleading as healthy but actually aren’t? You be the judge!